Tuesday, October 27, 2009

marche aux puces


In French, that literally means "flea market." There are a few in Paris that are every weekend, and they sell anything you could possibly think of -- furniture, books, clothes (including your grandma's old minks), toys, keys, silverware, you name it. It was like the vendors had uprooted a messy attic and transplanted it on the sidewalk to sell. I didn't see much that I would actually ever buy, but it was fun going around and looking at everything. 

This was a great opportunity to walk around with my camera and just experiment with taking different shots. These photos were taken at the antique market held one weekend right across the street from my building (back in September), and a few were taken at the flea market at Porte de Vanves (I went last weekend), which goes on every weekend. 

random statues and old toys

Some of the vendors specialize in just postcards, or leather chairs, but the majority of them have tables with anything and everything sprawled out with little organization. 

  
Babar! and suitcases upon suitcases of old books. 

The prices of these items can go from ridiculously cheap (10 embroidered handkerchiefs for 2euro) to unbelievably expensive (one picture frame for 200 euro). I ended up buying some patterned scarves for 3 euro each- half the fun was digging through the box and seeing what I could find. I also got some nice jewelry for only 5euro. 

   
A pretty pink chair I wanted- only 20 Euros! Too bad I have no way to take it home. 
and a little statue of Rodin's "Thinker"- I found it sitting on a tiny table with its own doily. Funny to think that I saw the actual version at the Rodin Museum in August. 

A box full of billiards balls and animal rubber stamps 

If you ever get a chance to visit Paris, I would definitely recommend a trip to the marche aux puces- it captures a bit of the spirit of the city. The old is mixed with the new, and you never know what you're going to find. As they say, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

0 comments:

Post a Comment